24-29 June 2018 – Session at ISBA World Meeting in Edinburgh
Title: Bayesian methods for directional data
Organizer and chair: Irene Klugkist
Abstract: Directional statistics is a branch of statistics that deals with directional data that can be encountered in many scientific disciplines. The two most common forms are data that lie on the circumference of the unit circle (circular data) or on the surface of the unit hypersphere (spherical data). Some examples are wind directions, circadian rhythms and navigational data.
A classical monograph on directional statistics appeared in 1972, written by Mardia, who is still active in the field (e.g., see Mardia and Jupp, 2000). To date, the development of directional statistics is far from finished. In the past 15-20 years, the attention for directional statistics has dramatically increased and currently there is an active community of researchers rapidly producing new methods, papers, books and software (e.g., Jammalamadaka & SenGupta, 2001; Pewsey, Neuhauser, Ruxton, 2013; Ley & Verdebout, 2017). However, the majority of this work is non-Bayesian. The proposed speakers in this session believe that the area of directional statistics will benefit from the Bayesian approach and will present some of their recent work on this topic.
Speakers: Jolien Cremers, Eduardo Gutiérrez-Peña, Antonello Maruotti, Kees Mulder
Workshop at Utrecht University
Our first workshop on Circular Data Modelling was at Utrecht University (CDM@UU), the Netherlands on November 24-25, 2016.
The full program for this workshop can be found here.
- Irene Klugkist: Research meeting University of Groningen (2018, oral), Power snack (2018, oral).
- Jolien Cremers: Research meeting University of Groningen (2018, oral), Power snack (2018, oral), JSM (oral+poster), IMPS (oral).
- Kees Mulder: Symposium “Connecting Mathematical methods across UU” (2018, oral), Power snack (2018, oral).
- Irene Klugkist: ADISTA2017 in Rome (invited speaker)
- Jolien Cremers: ADISTA2017 (2017, poster)
- Kees Mulder: ADISTA2017 (2017, poster), CMStatistics (2017, oral), IOPS (Winter 2017, oral)
- Irene Klugkist: CDM@UU (organizer)
- Jolien Cremers: ISBA (2016, poster), CDM@UU (2016, oral), CMStatistics (2016, oral)
- Kees Mulder: ISBA (2016, poster), CDM@UU (2016, oral), CMStatistics (2016, oral)
- Jolien Cremers: ML congres (2015, oral), OBayes congres (2015, poster)
- Kees Mulder: OBayes congres (2015, poster)
- Jolien Cremers: BAYSM, Young Bayesians conference (2014, poster)
- Kees Mulder: BAYSM, Young Bayesians conference (2014, oral)
- Irene Klugkist: Evaluating order-constrained hypotheses for circular data using permutation tests (oral presentation)
At the International Meeting of the Psychomteric Society (IMPS), Hong Kong, China